Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Putting it all together or so I think

So I am sitting here watching Rock of Love on VH1 pondering the things that people would do for "love" or "money", take it as what you want. It just blows my mind. How far out people would go for the big word. Or is it for the money? I guess thats beside the the point, maybe it was just a good opener for whatever it is that is going to spew out of my brain and onto this page. A little thought to start with, mainly about how ridiculous that show and most any shows in this theme are.

Anyway I have been sitting here tonight doing what I have become very professional at, procrastinating. During my 4 hours of procrastination (I suppose this could tie into it) I began think about my life and how its changed over the last 5 or 6 years. But not only how its changed but where it has went and where its going. A lot of things have changed about me. As a person I have grown in so many ways. Maybe thats not even why I started this thing. I don't want to talk about myself but more about the things that I have seen, the things that have made me change in my life. So I guess it is about me. But more so about all of the crazy events, experiences and people I have crossed in the last 5 or 6 years of my life that have helped me change. A lot of people have come in gone in my life, new friends, old friends, girlfriends, ex girlfriends, comrades. So lets take this from the beginning and go back to the winter of 2001.

So here we are a fresh 21 year old, on my way of flunking out of college. Its my junior year and I am no longer sure about what I want to do with my life. Day by day I begin to realize that I no longer want to pursue a degree in history, but yet I am so sure of what I really want in my life. At the time I felt trapped. I was living with a girl who well. I felt pressure from the pressure of that we are supposed to get married. I knew that was not what I wanted but she almost knew that was what she wanted. Maybe I got scared or maybe I got smart? Its really tough too say. At an age like 21 a life long commitment to a degree that you are unsure of and a marriage you are scared to death of, what to do?

This is what I did, this is how I handled it. I one day decided all in this area, the job, the college I dropped out of, the girl I was dating. They were not for me. So I did what any confused 21 year might do in that situation. I headed for the hills. Except these hills were almost 2,000 miles away. To me it seemed to be the only way to not feel trapped. Trapped by my own decisions. I called my father and told him I needed out. The outage could not have come at a more opportunistic time , my fathers business partner had just skipped the country because of some trouble he had gotten into, my little sister was only 2 years old at the time. So with his schedule my help was needed. So the decision was made I was moving to Key West.

Fast forward a few months. I arrive into Key West and am thrown face first into the act of helping run a restaurant with my father. It was learn from mistake and follow by action time. That is exactly what I did. I learned hands on how to run a bar and grille. Oh and did I mention raise my little sister.

Well this is where I stop tonight. I hope my abrupt ending to this story keeps you coming back but also me coming back to keep on keeping on with the story of my life. Mainly I hope to keep your interest.

A few glasses of wine and an empty stomach. What a way to end the night.

No comments: