Saturday, April 10, 2010

"No Throwing Stones At You Anymore"


















I had a little trip down memory lane today. I was en route to the mall and selecting something to listen to by album title on the trusty iPod. Well I without realizing it picked Glassjaw Worship and Tribute. I have not listened to this about roughly god, maybe 5 or 6 years but some how still knew the words and still got into it the same way I did when I was 21 years old and it came out in early 2002. I remember the times I saw Glassjaw in a club crammed with 4 to 500 kids just going bonkers getting more into the music than you would normally see. Oh what a time in life.

I feel like I need to be some distraught heart broken teenager to enjoy Glassjaw, but in truth I am none of that. Its just really well put together music with honest lyrics of some crazy years in life, Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence and Worship and Tribute are stellar albums.

Anyway, not to get all sorts of nostalgic (but I am anyway) it reminded me of living in the Florida Keys, I used to open all the windows on my car and just cruise along the ocean on US1 bobbing my head in the humid South Florida air, Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Gulf of Mexico on the other. It reminded me of a lot that year, of my move to Key West from Albany to live with my father earlier in the year, dropping out of college, going back to NY for Hell Fest in in that damn dirt pit pavilion, joining the Coast Guard, boot camp, moving to Boston and really setting the pace for where I am today.

I can say listening to it now takes me back to a feeling of something different, a feeling of someone who was in their early 20's just beginning life, it reminds me of all the uncertainty that was ahead of me.

Now I am in Northern Cali in the Coast Guard, looking to move back to Florida after 8 years of not. I am more settled in life, content with everything that I have going on. I have overcome a lot recently and am happy with everything I have going for me. Life is a little more settled now, with the exception of the job market as we all have felt, but I have what seems to be some pretty promising prospects ahead of me.

and the jam

No comments: